- WLP002 is a classic ESB strain traditionally used for English-style ales but is also ideal for American-style pale ales and IPAs
- Highly flocculent. Residual sweetness accentuates malt character along with mild fruity esters
- PurePitch® Next Generation offers a precise cell count across all strains so you can calculate the exact pitch rate you need for every batch
- Scan the barcode on the back of the package and enter your wort stats into the Pitch Rate Calculator
- White Labs Yeast has been producing high-quality brewer’s yeast since 1995 and continues to raise the bar in the art of fermentation
- Don’t need a full package? Put the lid back on and store in the refrigerator for your next batch!
This genuinely classic ale strain originated from one of England’s largest breweries. It has a rich, malty flavor with lots of good fruity esters. It is used as the yeast-strain-of-choice in many microbreweries, and is definitely one of our favorites. Use it in any beer in which you want a distinct malt flavor to come through. The high flocculation results in naturally clear beers. Our #2 best selling yeast. To ferment this yeast properly pitch at 65-66°F and let it rise to 66-68°F.
PurePitch® Next Generation—now with more yeast, get a foolproof fermentation without a starter! Just twist the cap & pitch!
Why PurePitch Next Gen versus other options?
Typically yeast manufacturers use a range for how many yeast cells are going into each package. This can vary widely, especially from strain to strain. Next Gen offers a far more precise cell count across all strains allowing you to use the Whitelabs exclusive pitch calculator. Simply scan the barcode on the back of each package to be taken to their online calculator. Enter the volume, strength, and pitching temperature of the wort you are fermenting and the calculator tells you exactly how much yeast to pitch. You will be fermenting like a professional brewer, using the same concentration of yeast every time and enjoying more consistent results. Don’t need a full package? Put the lid back on and store in the refrigerator for your next batch. Whitelabs has also increased the viability (the number of living cells in the package) over the shelf life of the yeast. Next Gen strains are grown in their unique, small-batch reactors to assure freshness and then packaged in a special film that allows for off-gassing, assuring that their viability is absolutely industry leading.
Flocculation: Very High
Alcohol Tolerance: 5-10% ABV
Optimum Fermentation Temp: 65-68°F
Cell Count: 150 Billion